Intra – EU Goods Trading in Malta – Information and Facts
Taxable persons who undertake sales to or purchase from (including triangular trade) other EU Member States need to submit the following forms, in addition to the quarterly VAT Return:
EU Acquisitions (Purchases):
- Intrastat (detailed reporting of all physical arrivals of goods – all items – in Malta)
- Inclusion in VAT Return (on a total basis)
EU Supplies (Sales):
- Intrastat (detailed reporting of all physical departures of goods – all items – in Malta)
- Inclusion in VAT Return (on a total basis with 0% VAT rate)
- VAT Return – 45 days from the end of VAT reporting quarter
- Intrastat – 10 working days of the following month from when the month in which the goods were imported / exported.
The intrastat reporting thresholds both for intracommunity supplies and intracommunity acquisitions for 2010 are set at €700 (calculated on an annual cumulative basis)
The government entity which processes Intrastat is the National Statistics Office (“NSO”), Malta. Supplementary declarations may be filed manually or electronically.
Every taxable person must submit a recapitulative statement for the following supplies made to taxable persons and non-taxable legal persons identified for purposes of VAT:
- exempt intra-Community supplies of goods;
- services, other than services that are exempted from the tax in the Member State where the transaction is taxable, and for which the recipient is liable to pay the tax
Recapitulative Statements have to be drawn up for each calendar month and are to be submitted online to the VAT Department by not later than the fifteenth day of the month following the relative calendar month.
However, a Recapitulative Statement must be submitted for each calendar quarter by not later than the fifteenth day of the month following the end of the quarter, where the total quarterly amount, excluding VAT, of the supplies of goods does not exceed either in respect of the quarter concerned or in respect of any of the previous four quarters the sum of €50,000 (fifty thousand Euro).
The option referred to above shall cease to be applicable after the end of the month during which the total value, excluding VAT, of supplies of goods exceeds in respect of the current quarter the sum of €50,000 (fifty thousand Euro). In this case, a recapitulative statement shall be drawn up for any month which may have elapsed since the beginning of the quarter by not later than the fifteenth day of the month following the last month in the relative reporting period.
Notwithstanding the above, on supplies of services for which the customer is liable for payment of the tax, the supplier may submit an online Recapitulative Statement for each calendar quarter by not later than the fifteenth day of the month following the end of the quarter irrespective of the total value of services supplied.
Provided that, on supplies of both goods and services then the rules for the goods shall prevail, and the Recapitulative Statement shall be made every month or every calendar quarter if the threshold is not exceeded.
The values relative to the supplies of goods or services required to be reported in the Recapitulative Statement shall be declared in the period of submission during which VAT became chargeable.